An acute respiratory illness that has killed eight people in Ontario has spread to nine new provinces and territories, with 741 new cases reported in Ontario and 10 deaths, according to new numbers released by the provincial Ministry of Health.
Of the 28 people dying in Ontario due to the coronavirus, three were under 20 years old, under one year of age and 13 people had not been hospitalised, according to the ministry.
READ MORE: What’s the link between the World Health Organization and my family?
The Ontario government reported outbreaks in Peterborough, Belleville, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Port Hope, Brantford, Barrie, Brantford West, Clyde River, Pickering, Haliburton, Kincardine, Medway, Simcoe, Whitby, Red Deer, Stoney Creek, Caledon, North Bay, Malton, Collingwood, Hamilton, Dunedin, Nipissing, Windsor, Thunder Bay South, Welland, Waterloo, Kingston, Halton, Niagara Falls, Kingston, Iroquois Falls, and Timmins.
The Ministry of Health says nine people are currently in isolation and 20 patients have been placed on fluids for respiratory distress syndrome.
READ MORE: From snake bites to flu: An emergency’s common set of symptoms
The national average for cases of SARS and severe acute respiratory syndrome – also known as the coronavirus – are three deaths per outbreak and 26 patients. The ministry did not have data for 2009.
READ MORE: North Carolina senior Jim Moran, 83, dies from emergency
The WHO reported that the number of coronavirus deaths and reported cases in 2017 is much higher than in recent years.
READ MORE: #PopPeter can’t wait for camping season
Three people died due to the coronavirus in 2017, and the WHO said the first deaths caused by the new H7N9 and H7N9-N encephalitis virus appeared last year, and the third recorded case was in 2011.
READ MORE: WHO reports that 66% of cases of complications due to congenital Zika virus
The WHO does not yet have WHO-labelled data of hospitalizations for 2016 and 2017.
WATCH: A baby’s death linked to a Russian disease
On Saturday, World Health Organization director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said urgent steps need to be taken to stop the onward transmission of the coronavirus that has now infected people in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Britain, Iraq, the United Arab Emirates, Lebanon, Pakistan, Germany, France, Tunisia, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Turkey, Israel, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Jordan, Azerbaijan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Lebanon.